Sunday, February 8, 2009

Four CCs: A Little Bit About the Big Event Very Few Saw

Since I was an abysmal 1-for-12 in my 4CC’s predictions, let me start by saying I’ve easily found a fifth thing-I-don’t-get about the Four Contenents Championships.

Ladies? I got the medalists right at least, but in the wrong order. I guessed Asada/Kim/Rochette; we got Kim/Rochette/Asada. Not quite the same thing. (BTW, the U.S. ladies finished 4/7/9—but it was Caroline Zhang with the highest finish; not much comfort for those fearing we won’t get 3 spots for the Olympics next year.)

Pairs? I got Pang/Tong right, but with Dube/Davison holding onto second and Zhang/Zhang having to settle for third (sending my guess for bronze, Duhamel/Buntin, down to 4th), these predictions were mostly a wash as well.

And it went downhill from there. With Davis/White eking out a so-called “upset” over Virtue/Moir, and Samuelson/Bates triumphing over Crone/Poirer, my Dance predictions went nowhere. As for the men, I was so far off the mark they had to come find me with a search party… Chan/Lysacek/Kozuka was light years from the Oda/Abbott/Chan prediction I made earlier in the week.

Of course, just because I can’t call it like I’d like doesn’t mean I didn’t like what I saw. I’ll get into all that with the next post, but suffice to say there was some mesmerizing stuff going on up there in Vancouver, and it’s a crying shame that more people didn’t get to see it.

So let me finish by giving props to Sharon, a follower of the blog who absolutely nailed the dance predictions this time around! I think I’m going to let her call Worlds for me…

(No Clip of the Day this time; You Tube is acting very squirrely tonight! Sorry!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelli,
My computer went crash on me, got a new laptop and I'm slowly getting all my stuff back! So I haven't seen ya since 4CC! Thanks for the props, I realized after I read my previous comment..hey, I did nail it! I was thrilled to say the least. As for Worlds...let me just say, I'm waiting to see who exactly is going to be there for the ice dance! Still quite a question mark, huh? FCC was awesome, btw. I hope fans start getting excited sometime soon with the Olympics coming up.